I was getting ready to out last night and because I wanted my makeup to last I applied a primer, which is not a daily necessity for me. That got my thinking about other primers I’ve tried and loved – so I thought I’d give you a rundown of my top 5!
As I live in the UK all the primers I’m going to mention are obviously easily accessible to me, but I’m not sure about the US! I’m sure that if you’ve never seen a few of the primers I feature you’ll be able to get them online. 🙂
1) I’m not going to list the primers in order of my favourites, but I must say I really love this one! This is the Baby Skin, Pore Eraser by Maybelline – you can pick this up for £7.99 at Superdrug. I really like how soft and smooth this makes my skin, and it also actually does what it says it’s going to! The pores of my nose and chin are far too visible for my liking and Baby Skin really does reduce the appearance of them – in my opinion of course. I also notice that my foundation does stay put a lot longer when I use this, especially on my forehead where I tend to get oily the most. The product itself is clear so it works with all skintones, and it also lasts a super long time! A little goes a long way!
2) I’m quite fond of this one, but I think of it more as a winter primer. I tend to get dull skin in the winter so this is perfect. This is the Perk Me Up primer by Look Beauty. I got this from Superdrug a little while ago, and I haven’t seen it for a while so I don’t know if they stopped doing it because it’s not on their website either. The Look Beauty webpage says it RRPs for £12, but I don’t think I paid that much for it.
I think this primer is a little like the Rimmel Wake Me Up line, but it really does work. I never apply this over my whole face, just under my eyes and a little on my cheeks and forehead. It comes out the colour it appears but it blends it nicely so it doesn’t affect your colouring in the end. It gives such a lovely glow to my makeup when I’m finished and I’ve found that it helps prevent the dreaded under eye crease!
3) The Seventeen brand is quite new to me as I’ve only even seen it in Boots, and I tend not to shop there very much as I hate the layout of my local store! This RRPs at £5.99, and they have a buy one get one half price offer on at Boots at the minute so I picked this up and the Falsifeye HD mascara. Baragain! I haven’t used this too much since I bought it as I always reach for the Baby Skin, but from what I’ve seen it works pretty well and does what it says on the pot!
It’s quite silky to the touch so it’s easy to put on, I find it’s best to leave it a good 10 minutes before I apply foundation as I think this needs a little longer to settle into the skin.
4) Everyone knows MUA does very affordable makeup, and the majority of it is of a decent quality – THIS PRIMER DOE. I love this primer. As I’ve said I get quite an oily forehead and this keeps the oil and bay for the majority of the day. You can find this at Superdrug for only £4.00! If you’ve never used a primer before and you need a bit of help keeping oil at bay or reducing shine – go and buy this immediately. I could probably write you an essay on this baby. You only need a small amount, it blends in brilliantly and it really does help your makeup last. When I’m having a bad skin week and I don’t wanna slap too much product on my face I just out this on combined with a bit of concealer and powder and I’m done! I love this, it’s definitely rivalling the Baby Skin!
5) Lastly but not leastly (is leastly a word..?) is the Gosh Velvet Touch Primer in clear (there’s an apricot alternative). I got this from Superdrug for £7.99. Again, it’s a gel type consistency and glides on beautifully. It settles in super quick too! I love applying my foundation when I’ve put this on, it feels like it takes less time! You only need a little bit as it spreads over your face really easily, but if you get shiny easily apply a little more on those areas and you should be good! I find I only need a small amount of powder with this too. It fills in all those unsightly pores well and it is meant to reduce the appearance of fine lines too – but I’m too young to have those! I feel you get quite a lot in the bottle too!
Let me know if you’ve tried any of these primers and how they worked for you!